Started by Frank Hopper in 1880.
In 1896, Frank sold out to an investment company, which hired him as manager
of the now A.B.C. Cycle Fittings Company Ltd. In a year he left and
set up a new factory named the Hull and Barton Cycle Manufacturing Company.
Franks original company, the A.B.C Cycle Fittings Company
failed in 1898, and Fred and his partners bought back the original business,
and resumed trading as F. Hopper & Co. merger in 1913 of the Elswick and
Hopper cycle companies.
In 1910, the trademark of the bankrupt Elswick Cycle Company of
Newcastle were bought. The company went ahead and marketed under the
separate brands of Hopper and Elswick, using different dealers to give
greater market penetration.
With the bike boom subsiding, the company fell on hard times and
was re-organized in 1913 as The Elswick Hopper Cycle and Motor Company Ltd.
Fred Hopper died in 1925, his son taking control and continued haltingly
Another reorganization took place and finally in a cost saving
move, Coventry Eagle company moved in to share factory space, and eventually
became Flacon alone. The Elswick brand finally disappeared in 1984.