A Great Tradition
A Quick History:
Hyman (Harry) Hetchins started his bike shop in the 1920's.
- Jack Denny,
master builder, joined in 1934.
- Hyman applied for patent for curly stays on Nov. 20, 1934.
- Production started in 1935.
- Hetchins frames were sold through a network of dealers and a large
number of frame builder's were employed to meet demand.
- Production began to decline from about 1953 as cars became more
- Hyman Hetchins died Oct. 19,1961 and the business was taken over
by his son Alf.
- Following the "compulsory purchase" (condemned by government to
build a highway) of the Tottenham shop, Alf moved the business to Southend-on-Sea
- Alf sold the business in 1985 and for a while both he and Jack
continued supervise frame building at Bob Jackson's in Leeds.
- Jack Denny died on August 4, 1991.
- Alf Hetchins died in 1996.
- The Hetchins Company is managed by David Miller in Preston,
1937 "Wembley Six Day Team"
Hetch (the Guvnor), Van Kempen,
Cor Wals and trainer
1936 Lightweight Cycle Show,
Horticulture Hall, London
Hetchins Anglo-Continental model,
fitted with Osgear 1938
Corky O'Brien and Rodman.
U.S. track stars both riding Hetchins 1937
and World Class Cycles