The "other" high quality British made cycle tubing.

Updated
7.22.2011
   Accles & Pollock was founded at Holford Mill UK in 1899, with Walter W. Hackett as one of its founders. George Accles lent his name to the original business sans Pollock, and a 1949 corporate history says Accles was not involved. Thomas Pollock provided financial backing in 1901 at which point the company was renamed Accles & Pollock.
  
    At first, A&P produced tubing for bedsteads, boilers, and bicycles, according to corporate history. Handlebars were bent by filling a straight tube with resin in order to keep the tube in shape during bending, which didn’t work on hot days.

   Business grew, and A&P was purchased by Tube Investments (TI) who also owned Reynolds. in 1919. A&P employees increased to nearly 5,000 by 1949, with tubing made for many applications.  

    In the 1930s through 1950s there was a healthy competition between top quality makers to use one or the other brand. Those who endorsed A&P tubing included Claud Butler, Hobbs of Barbican and W.F. "Sandy" Holdsworth. A&P bicycle tubing names included “A Quality,” “B Quality,” “High Carbon,” “Kromo,” and “Kromo S.A.Q.”

    The Chromium Molybdenum blended steel product for bicycle frames was finally retired in favor of the better known Manganese Molybdenum sets made by  Reynolds.

     The company lives on as Caparo Accles & Pollock

Thanks to Peter Brueggeman

Hobbs
advertisement


 

 
Tube transfer(decal)

Tube transfer
(decal)

 

Tube transfer (decal)

 

Back to Classic British Parts